Monday, September 3, 2018

Safe & Sound


Red is my favorite color. Parenthood is one of my favorite shows. I have watched it, in full, at least 50 times. One of the characters on there gets accepted to Cornell. One of my close friends is a PhD at Cornell. He sent me two Cornell things. This sweatshirt and a hoodie. He and I share a combined love of Gilmore Girls, which, I also have watched over 50 times.

A simple, kind thing to do. Because he knows me. He knows me very well. He knows when I want to talk. He knows when I just want to complain, or talk about cats. He gave me one of the best NYC experiences anyone could ask for. And, we have matching tattoos. We live many states away, now, but I always know he is there for me.

As I continue to recover from the assault, I learn every day who my true friends are. People with true compassion and love. It makes me sad when I think about some people who I considered close to me that have left me alone because they were/are too busy, didn't/don't want to face the reality of what happened to me. There are also people that I don't know at all who have reached out and provided me so much love and support. I am thankful. I am blessed.

Even when I feel like I am not.

It was a very hot day in North Carolina today, yet, I am wearing this sweatshirt because I can't stay warm. I put the heat on in my house because I can't stay warm because I weigh so little. I can't open the windows to let the warm air in because that scares me.

Being assaulted doesn't go away, but it certainly puts perspective on so many things in life. There are so many things I took for granted that I will not take for granted again.

I will never get over this assault, but I know I will get stronger, within time, a long time. This is continuing to be a very scary time. For me and for many of you who love and support me.

For now, I will enjoy my comfortable sweatshirt. I will stay warm and cozy, knowing who cares and who doesn't.

Thank you, Joshua Bastian Cole, for making me feel safe and cozy, even though we are miles and miles away.

My love to all of you. Stay safe.

No comments: